Daniel Radcliffe Opens up on Protecting His Son From Harry Potter Fame

Depositphotos
Our Editorial Policy.

Share:

Daniel Radcliffe is making sure that his home life stays far away from the magic of the Wizarding World, at least for now. In a recent video interview with The New York Times on February 20, the Harry Potter star revealed that his two-year-old son has no idea his father was once the world’s most famous boy wizard.

Radcliffe, who shares his son with partner Erin Darke, explained that he is in no rush to introduce his child to Harry Potter. He prefers to keep things grounded in reality at home, focusing on normal everyday life instead of his legendary film career. I just want to be dad, he said, emphasizing that his goal is to preserve a sense of normalcy for as long as possible.

The actor shared a funny moment about testing his son’s awareness when a signed Harry Potter DVD was left on the kitchen table. He joked that he watched to see if his toddler would recognize the cover, but the little boy didn’t react at all, which Radcliffe described as great.

Since welcoming his son in 2023, Radcliffe and Darke have been famously private. However, he has occasionally opened up about how fatherhood has changed him. He previously told E! News that becoming a parent was the best thing to ever happen to him, while admitting it can also be terrifying to care for someone so deeply.

Radcliffe added that he wouldn’t discourage his son from acting, but he hopes the child finds a passion outside the spotlight unless it’s something he truly loves. Alongside fatherhood, Radcliffe has been busy professionally.

He is starring in the new NBC sitcom The Fall and Rise of Reggie Dinkins, which premiered on February 23. In the show, he plays a struggling documentary filmmaker trying to restore the reputation of a disgraced football player, played by Tracy Morgan. This marks a return to network television following his success on Miracle Workers.

Radcliffe has also spoken about the upcoming HBO Harry Potter series. While he confirmed he will not appear in the reboot, he encouraged fans to support the new young cast and let them perform without being overshadowed by the original actors. I want people to let them get on with it without haunting them with the spectral phantoms of the original actors, he said.

Since leaving Hogwarts behind, Radcliffe’s career has grown in exciting directions. In 2024, he won his first Tony Award for his performance in the Broadway revival of Merrily We Roll Along. Known for choosing bold and unconventional roles, he has steadily built a career that distinguishes him from his early fame as the boy wizard.

Radcliffe seems determined to balance his work with family life. While he continues to take on challenging and varied projects, he remains focused on being present as a father and keeping his son’s childhood free from the pressures of fame. Fans have been impressed by how he manages to maintain both a high-profile career and a grounded family life.

What do you think about Daniel Radcliffe keeping his Harry Potter fame separate from his son? Share your thoughts in the comments.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments