Yahya Abdul-Mateen II Finally Explains the Real Reason Marvel Pulled the Plug on ‘Wonder Man’
Marvel Television has had its fair share of shakeups over the past year, but few decisions stung quite like watching a critically adored series get canceled just months after being renewed. That whiplash hit “Wonder Man” fans especially hard, given how rare it’s become for any Marvel Studios series to earn the kind of across-the-board acclaim this one did during its freshman run.
The Disney+ series, which followed Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as aspiring actor Simon Williams navigating Hollywood alongside Ben Kingsley’s Trevor Slattery, debuted in January to a 91% critics’ score and an 87% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. Disney had already confirmed a second season back in March, only to reverse that decision entirely by late July, leaving fans and cast members alike blindsided by the sudden reversal.
Now Abdul-Mateen has offered his most direct explanation yet for what actually happened behind the scenes. Speaking about the cancellation, the actor said it “had something to do with the viewership numbers,” adding, “I think they decided that it didn’t make sense for business, and that’s the decision that we live with and we keep on marching forward,” as he told Vanity Fair.
That explanation lines up with comments from showrunner Andrew Guest, who addressed the cancellation in a TikTok video shortly after the news broke, saying “there was a decision made internally between Disney and Marvel that this didn’t make sense for them, even though a few months ago it did.” Guest also used the moment to advocate for Abdul-Mateen’s Emmy chances, noting his hope that voters would recognize “how much he deserves an Emmy for the incredible work he did on this show.”
The viewership picture behind the decision has remained murky throughout, since Disney never officially released detailed metrics for the series. What is known comes from Nielsen, which reported the show generated 618 million viewing minutes during its opening week, placing it at No. 8 among streaming originals for the week of January 26 to February 1, before it dropped off the chart entirely the following week.

That performance stood in stark contrast to other recent Marvel Television offerings. According to reporting on the cancellation, “Wonder Man’s” 91% critics’ score actually surpassed “Loki,” which earned two full seasons despite matching audience and critic scores in the high 80s, and came close to “Daredevil,” which ran for three seasons with slightly higher marks across the board.
Following the announcement, Abdul-Mateen took to Instagram to process the news publicly, writing that “the show worked” and reflecting on the genuine connection he felt with fans throughout the show’s run. He specifically mentioned watching along with YouTube reactors during the show’s release and hearing directly from viewers about how the series resonated with them personally.
The cancellation marked a notable first for Marvel Studios, becoming the first series in the studio’s television history to have a publicly announced renewal rescinded entirely. That distinction has only added to the surprise surrounding the decision, especially given how positively both critics and the show’s dedicated fanbase responded throughout its eight-episode run.
Abdul-Mateen’s Emmy nomination for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series offers something of a silver lining amid the disappointment, with the ceremony set for September 14. He’s up against a competitive field that includes Steve Carell, Matthew Rhys, Jason Segel, and Martin Short, giving the cancelled series one more moment in the spotlight before its story officially closes for good.
Why do you think Wonder Man was canceled?
For a show built entirely around the unpredictable, often cruel nature of the entertainment industry, “Wonder Man’s” own cancellation has taken on an almost meta quality that hasn’t gone unnoticed by fans and critics alike. Whether Abdul-Mateen’s Emmy recognition translates into any future revival of the character remains to be seen, but for now, the door appears firmly closed on Simon Williams’ story.
Have something to add? Let us know in the comments!

