Life is hard. Sometimes, when things become difficult each of us needs a little pick-me-up. No, I’m not talking about the alcoholic kind. I’m talking about comic books. Not only do they possess some of the Greatest Stories Ever Told, but they also provide some of the best lessons life has to offer.
In saying that, I’ve browsed through my collection and found some of the best motivational quotes in DC and Marvel comic history. These quotes aren’t partial to any one publisher, nor do they try to be anything more than they are. Of course, they will affect each of us in different ways, but it is my hope that on your darkest day, you can turn to these and have them guide you to where you need to be.
In saying all that, here are some of the best and life-changing quotes from comic book characters we all know and love.
1. Captain America – “I’m loyal to nothing, General…except the Dream.”
Captain America is known as a true leader and inspiration to many. This quote reflects the importance of believing in dreams and following them at any cost.
2. Wonder Woman – “Of all people, you know who I am…who the world needs me to be. I’m Wonder Woman.”
3. Superman – “You are much stronger than you think you are. Trust me.”
Strength comes in all forms, and the physical aspect is just one of many. Sometimes a bit of willpower and courage goes a long way, even to places that physical strength can’t reach. Superman knew this and so should you!
4. Nightcrawler – “You have the instincts of a hero, my friend. But above all, the soul of a good man.”
Nightcrawler is one of the most iconic X-Men members, his quote goes a long way to show how the depth of character and willingness to do good go a long way.
5. Dr. Octopus – “The real crime would be not to finish what we started.”
Some of the best villains out there are the ones you can quote! Dr. Octopus is completely right, never half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing instead!
6. Batman – “It’s not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.”
This is a common theme among inspirational quotes, it shows you you’re the only one that has the power to change your destiny and your nature.
7. Stephen Strange – “Do you know what is the greatest gift anyone can receive in his lifetime? The greatest gift we can receive is to have the chance, just once in our lives, to make a difference.”
At least once in our lives, like Dr. Strange, we wonder whether we can make a true change! We can, whether it’s our own personal lives or something greater. Start with something small today and eventually it might turn out to be something that defines the generations to come!
8. The Flash – “Life doesn’t give us purpose. We give life purpose.”
Similar to Batman’s quote, this one also preaches how you’re the only one able to make a change when it comes to you!
9. Daredevil – “It’s not how you hit the mat, it’s how you get up.”
Daredevil’s father is among the reasons why he decided to take up crime fighting. This quote is partially inspired by him as well. Nothing is lost until you decide to hug the mat for good!
10. Captain Canuck – “We’ll do our part, dear sister, and let our maker do his!…It’ll work out.”
Just because you’re out of options doesn’t mean you’re out of hope! Captain Canuck knows what he’s talking about!
And there you have it. I hope these quotes serve you as they have served me and everyone else who has used them, repeated them and allowed them to change their spirits.