‘Transformers’ Star Shia LaBeouf Faces Formal Charges Following Alleged Mardi Gras Altercation Report

Depositphotos

Share:

Public figures often face legal trouble that becomes widely reported, especially when incidents happen in public places and involve police action. In many cases, early reports are followed by formal charges as investigations continue and more details are confirmed.

That is now the situation involving actor Shia LaBeouf, who has been formally charged following an alleged altercation that took place during Mardi Gras in New Orleans earlier this year, according to reports from WWL and NOLA.com.

The Orleans Parish District Attorney’s Office has charged LaBeouf with three misdemeanor counts of simple battery. Court records filed on May 21 and reviewed by local media confirm the charges. The case is linked to an incident that allegedly happened after midnight on February 17 at a bar in the French Quarter.

RELATED:

Kim Kardashian Declines Mackenzie Shirilla’s Request for Legal Help

According to law enforcement reports cited by PEOPLE, the situation began when LaBeouf was allegedly involved in a disturbance at a bar. He was reportedly removed from the venue by staff. Police later claim he struck one person, left the area, and then returned and struck the same individual again while also confronting another person before officers arrived.

The actor was first arrested shortly after the incident and initially faced two counts of simple battery. He was later arrested again and charged with an additional count of simple battery on February 28, according to reporting from the Associated Press and The Guardian.

During a court hearing that month, LaBeouf was ordered to follow several conditions while awaiting further proceedings. These included enrolling in substance abuse treatment, undergoing drug testing, and posting a $100,000 bond. He has since been released and remains out of custody under those conditions.

Authorities have also released details from a police report previously obtained by PEOPLE, which describes the alleged sequence of events in more detail. According to that report, LaBeouf was removed from the bar after causing a disturbance, then allegedly returned and continued the confrontation, which led to multiple alleged assaults before police intervened.

Video obtained by TMZ showed LaBeouf receiving medical treatment from paramedics outside the bar after the incident. He was later taken to a hospital for evaluation and was arrested after being discharged.

One alleged victim told PEOPLE that he helped restrain LaBeouf until police arrived. He also claimed the actor was “screaming at everybody” and “lunging at” patrons during the incident, while allegedly using homophobic slurs.

After his release, LaBeouf was seen in New Orleans shortly afterward. Reports said he spent time in the city’s nightlife area and even held up his release paperwork while out on Bourbon Street. He later posted a short message on social media that read “Free me.”

LaBeouf has been open in the past about struggles with addiction and sobriety, and his career has included several legal and public incidents over the years. He has previously faced charges such as public intoxication, disorderly conduct, and misdemeanor assault.

In his personal life, LaBeouf shares a daughter with actress Mia Goth. He has also recently been reported to have moved to New Orleans in an effort to start a new chapter following personal changes in his life.

The Orleans Parish District Attorney’s Office has not yet commented on possible penalties in the case, and it remains unclear how the legal process will proceed from here, according to WWL.

Have something to add? Let us know in the comments!

Don't miss:

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments